Home Forums General Quest for 275 plus MPH

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything on the build for Blucifer, my 2006 Viper coupe. It will have been 4 years this coming Jan since I drove it to 252.588 MPH and a lot of delays between Covid and life in general but hopefully I’m closing in on that next attempt. I’m optimistic that I can get it to the 275 to 285 MPH range with the new build, lots more WHP, torque and so many mods I’ve lost track of them. It’s still not back together but I’ve got some extra help, all the components have arrived, and now it’s just a matter of assembling everything. I will start posting more and sharing pictures of the build as it comes together. Always happy to listen to anyone’s thoughts and suggestions on improvements etc. I’m so looking forward to that view over the hood heading down the runway again. 

• Steve Fess

Good to see your update !!

Hopefully, it will all come together…including the weather.

Best of luck to you !!!

• Profile photo ofDeanWordGTS Dean

I love your detailed updates on the car, so keep them coming. Stay safe out there!

• David Miller

• David Miller

Transmission mount for the 6XD sequential. Gearhead Fabrication in Jenson Beach FL built and installed the mount. Blucifer is now at P1 in Sanford Florida getting the new Nth Moto quad carbon clutch installed along with explosion proof bellhousing indexed. If it all comes together, I want to run in Loring Maine sometime in July. Goal is still something between 275 and 285 MPH. After clutch and bellhousing, it goes back to Gearhead for more fabrication work. 

• Brent Barr

I believe I seen this car at a Viper shop just outside of Orlando. Where one of mine sat in pieces for 2 years…..mine is now at Havik Performance in PA and finally back together and running. Actually think I have pictures of Blucifer in pieces next to mine 😂

• Brent Barr
    • Brent Barr
    • David Miller

Hey Brent, yes that’s Blucifer. I just picked it up from P1 in Sanford FL and it’s heading back to Gearhead Fabrication in Jenson Beach. P1 indexed the explosionproof bellhousing and Alex got it to .003 which is an amazing feat. I will be making an attempt at 275+ MPH in the coming months. Really looking forward to driving it and seeing what it will do.

• David Miller
      • Brent Barr

Man what a small world! I remember the sticker on the windshield of yours and I was like “Holy crap this is the Viper record holder!”. I’m glad you found P1, I’ve heard nothing but awesome things about them. I got tired of waiting for my car to be worked on and in that two years I ended up back up here in Pennsylvania. So I just pulled it out and brought it up here. Havik’s done some crazy stuff with it so far.

Excited to see you go for 275+! You have to post updates!

• David Miller

Gearhead continues to make progress toward getting Blucifer ready for the next attempt at big speed. Here are a few pictures of the ice boxes, pumps, etc to help keep those IATs in check.

• David Miller
    • David Miller
    • David Miller
    • David Miller

Here are some pictures of the cold side connection to the intake. I will run a small nitrous shot to be used if the IATs get beyond a certain number. The plate closest to the intake with the threaded holes is connection point for one side of a “X” brace that clamps intake to the cold side pipes and prevents the hose connection from coming apart as the boost increases on the run. We run boost by gear so every shift bumps that number upwards.

• David Miller
    • Profile photo ofDeanWordGTS Dean

David – this is such an impressive build – filled with superlatives. Loring AFB is where my wife’s dad flew early B-52s during the Cold War. 2-mile long runways – 1 asphalt, 1 concrete. Must post results!!!

• David Miller

I’m so looking forward to seeing what it will do at Loring, definitely a base with some history. We will be there for 4 days and will try and post daily results. Thanks, David

• David Miller

Here are a few pictures of the fuel fill for the Fuelsafe fuel cell. Gearhead Fabrication in Jenson Beach is doing a fantastic job getting Blucifer ready for that 275+ run.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by David Miller.
    • David Miller

• David Miller

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by David Miller.
    • David Miller

• David Miller

Here are some pics of the window net and installation. Blucifer is really coming together and if we can get thru all the assembly and testing I hope to make an attempt at the 275+ number soon.

• David Miller

Mario at Gearhead Fabrication felt like a harness bar was needed so he added one. Safety is a priority for both Gearhead and me, I never object to spending money on anything that makes Blucifer safer.

• David Miller

Hot side pipes are both coated and wrapped, hot and cold side both run down the side sills so we are trying to keep them as insulated from each other as possible.

• David Miller

Here are a few pics of the rear hatch area. When I first decided that I wanted to put the turbos at the rear I thought I would have so much room to work with, it’s not looking like that now and we are not done yet. Should be an interesting sound from behind thou, I’ve heard a few rear mounted turbos in the past and there is definitely a unique sound to them.

• Brent Barr

Thanks for the updates! Can’t wait to see and hear this thing!

• David Miller

Parachute handles are being fabricated; land speed chutes are different than drag chutes in that first chute pulled has the longest tether and smallest diameter chute. It’s designed to straighten out the car and then the 2nd chute is pulled, it’s the deceleration chute, slightly shorter tether and bigger diameter chute is designed to slow the car. Once both are out, I can stand on the brakes and get it slowed down and eventually stopped.

Here are a few pictures of the hot and cold pipes insulated and the valve cover fittings.

• David Miller

Looking at the progress on Monday I’m on the fence as to if we will make it to Maine on time with a car that’s been sorted/tested. There are so many custom “one off” parts in this build that engineering and designing everything to work together is tough. We do expect to start it soon, then if everything is good, no leaks or other issues it’s onto the dyno for the tuning. Even after we are satisfied with the numbers there is a lot of work still to do. All the body panels have to be put back on, aero parts installed, every nut/bolt has to be tightened/checked and so much more. I won’t drive it in Maine unless I have had some seat time in the car. This build is so different than the one I did 252 in that I need time to know how it feels and reacts. We basically have a month and a few days at most to reach that fully assembled and ready to roll if we are going to make Loring Maine, otherwise I will find another option somewhere. I have looked at the ECTA event in Arkansas in early October as a back up but max distance is 2 km or about 1.24 miles, I was hoping for a 1.5 mile run but maybe we go to Arkansas as a test/tune session until I can find a longer runway.

• David Miller

Blucifer progress is continuing, and Gearhead is working toward being able to start it soon. Here are some pictures of the catch can which is located in the rear of the car over the battery box. The Peterson oil tank will be vented into it along with the engine. Keeping it in the rear keeps any oil dumped into the tank that overflows out the catch can vent from getting under the tires.

• This reply was modified 12 hours, 2 minutes ago by David Miller.
Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.