Home Forums Gen I / Gen II Side Sill Rivet Corrosion

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

1996 GTS: I’ve got corrosion around the rivets in my passenger side rocker panel/side sill.  (No rivets present in my driver side panel, thankfully, not sure if it was common to have rivets on one side or bilaterally).  I’ve read some older forum posts, found a discussion from 20 years ago and there was someone who was routinely repairing these, stripping to the bare aluminum, TIG welding the holes, and repainting to match.  Obviously many people out there are capable of such a repair, but I’m wondering if anyone has a recommended fixer.  Thanks

• Profile photo ofRichard TarlaianNottaVette

Hey Todd,
      What region are you in? I might be able to guide you to a reputable place to help you with this issue. Or at least get you in touch with someone who can. Not many people are perusing the forums for questions at the moment, so we need to work together to get the help in the beginning.
      On the “old forum”, did you locate the historical archives for your issue? I believe they’re still accessible, but I personally haven’t figured out how to navigate them.
      -Rich

• Todd Pedersen

Hey Rich,

I’m in Western Reserve, specifically Rochester, NY.  I took a look at the old forums, did a few searches with different keywords, and didn’t find anything particularly helpful.  I did find some good info specifically addressing this issue on the other Viper forum site, but all those posts were 20+ years old and didn’t bear fruit for connecting with anyone today.

-Todd

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Todd Pedersen.
      • Profile photo ofRichard TarlaianNottaVette

Awesome.  Can I assume that you’ve reached out to your region website or president to narrow down “current” resources?  If you go to “the club” tab / page on this website, then click on “regions”, you should find that there are emails and links to contact regions (scroll down below national leaders / contacts).

I hope this helps and that you post your findings / results.  Don’t hesitate to reach out to bordering regions to yours as well.  The more, the merrier.  You may find more resources that way.

Kindly,

Rich

• Bill Pemberton

I would contact ole Chuckie Tator, as I am sure he is well aware of the issues and though he may not be fixing the sidesills himself I would wager he knows someone who does.

I believe his work number is 914-763-3136 ( Tator’s Garage, S. Salem, NY. )

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.