Home Forums General Viper Quarterly Vol.35 Summer 2023 arrived

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

As the title says, the Latest VQ edition arrived yesterday. It is loaded with articles of interest…from Matchbox and Hot Wheels model collecting to ACRE cloning (with parts lists!!)…as well as changing the clutch slave cylinder on a Gen II, review of Viper Rendezvous XIV, Carolinas and Mid South activities, a fine article on Dan Cragin, and MORE

Thanks for another winner Maurice and the VOA !!

• BSLSK

Is this available online yet? I’m not seeing it on my account.

• mkviper96

VQ35 should be available in your portal now.

• George Farris

Read the article about Dan Cragin … brought back many great memories of him … especially the early days of the Viper.

I had moved from Northern Virginia to a new job in Palm Springs.  After getting situated, found out there were two Viper Clubs in Southern California, so I joined both.

It was great as the clubs competed against each other resulting in super events!!! One event for the LA Club was at Pamona Drag Strip with at least 30 Vipers attending. Dan was on hand to lend expertise and help us owners with our cars. Knowing we were going to drag race at the famous track, I had practiced my take offs quite a bit … excited to show off!!!

So we are getting ready for the drags and Dan comes around and asks RT/10 owners if we wanted to synchronize the two throttle bodies.  Didn’t know this was an issue but gave him the green light to do it. Little did I know it would result in a significant power boost.

So its my turn to race and I stage at the line.  The “Christmas Tree” lights count down, pop the clutch and I nail it!!!

WOW!!! Viper goes sideways and almost wipes out the Tree!!! Luckily, the car straightens out makes it down the track … whew!!!

After the runs, we had a team meeting … excited owners were asked what their times were.  Didn’t say a word as I ducked down in the back … my time was 3 seconds slower than anybody else!! Ouch!!!

But Dan was so knowledgeable and likeable, he was the go to Tech for all of us. So glad he would up with that great ride!!!!

• Profile photo ofSteve FessSteve-Indy

Thanks for sharing, George. Dan is certainly a major part of Viper history. I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2000 at the St.Louis VOI.6 where Dan installed the new Stop Tech front brake system on our 95 R/T 10. In subsequent years, he was always available to discuss Viper issues and ship needed parts. My guess is that he has worked on more Vipers than anyone else…especially given the high numbers of them in SoCal.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo ofSteve FessSteve-Indy.
    • Bill Pemberton

Very sad news about Tony, and pleasant news about my good friend Dan Cragin. The story and pictures of the NVE were both exciting and somewhat tough to read as I had to make a personal decision about the Event as it was during the 50th Anniversary of the SCCA Solo Nationals. With the fact that I and a few other folks had started the Salina Region of the SCCA and we helped with the logistics of the event while it was held there in the 80s and 90s, and it was where I met my future Employer Bob Woodhouse, the heartstrings were pulling both directions. What helped with the decision was the fact that my son, Ryan , is Nationally competitive in his 2006 EVO 9 ( he was 2nd in his Class at the 2022 Nationals ) and as his ” Quasi-Official ” tire warmer Dad needed to be there to help out. In all honesty I knew if he garnered the Championship and I was not there I would not be able to console myself, so I am afraid all my Viper buddies had to come in second. Thanks so much to those that called or emailed me and I promise to make the next NVE, and I will not deny that the great pictures Maurice always takes and the fun stories made it hard to not be there. It was great to see so many folks had a great time and at least I was able to get some of the flavor of NVE5 though the quarterly — great stories and tributes to so many deserving Viper owners, mentors, and fans.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.